Ever felt the need to capture text from under your mouse cursor. I’ve made a small sample application which does this.
Check out!Download (Rename to exe or save as exe)
Take a look at this screenshot, notepad contents has been captured into my application’s value field. Name and value are two different things. For e.g. for an Address bar in internet explorer name will be “Address bar” and value will be “the address”.
Now you may ask why I needed this kind of an application or what’s the use of this application. It’s pretty useful if you want to capture text from a control in a module. I’ve heard people say that “if only there was some way to capture text in a listbox”. This tool even captures hyperlinks, menu names, toolbars, button captions, edit text, static control text, list control text, list box text too. Isn’t that cool. 8)
Another cool feature that I found was if you hover your mouse over a progress bar then the text is shown as 20%. 😉 8)
Take a look at the checkboxes given…
- You can automatically copy captured text to clipboard when you release your mouse.
- You can also hide this window as soon as you start dragging.
- Along with above features you can also make this a top most window.
- Also added another check box for killing this application on mouse up. [update]
So have fun capturing text, log your bugs as comments. This application is a very basic one but turned out to be useful for me. I’ve used Accessibility APIs provided by Microsoft.
- Does not capture text from list control second column onwards
- Does not capture text in Microsoft word documents